New York, March 29, 2010—The Committee to Protect Journalists urges Honduran authorities to fully investigate last week’s murders of two journalists, part of a month-long wave of lethal violence that has resulted in the slayings of five reporters over all and led to widespread self-censorship in the local media.
José Bayardo Mairena and Manuel Juárez, journalists for
radio stations Excélsior and Super 10, were attacked Friday while driving from Catacamas
and Juticalpa, in the
“We call on Honduran authorities to put an end to this
unprecedented wave of violence against the press,” said Carlos Lauría, CPJ’s
senior program coordinator for the
Mairena, 52, a veteran journalist, handled general assignments that included coverage of organized crime and a land dispute in the Aguán region, Omar Said Mejia, owner of Super 10, told CPJ. Juárez, 54, was a news presenter. Local authorities have not disclosed possible motives or identified any suspects, Honduran press reports said.
A wave of deadly violence has battered the Honduran media as
five journalists have been killed this month. Unidentified attackers gunned
down Honduran journalist Nahúm
Palacios Arteaga in the city of
Investigators have not reported progress in any of the five cases, local press reports said. CPJ is investigating whether the killings were linked to the journalists’ work.