Case   |   Republic of Congo

Republic of Congo regulators suspend three newspapers

On November 13, 2013, the state-run media regulatory board High Council on Freedom of Communication (CSLC), suspended three private weeklies from circulation for nine months in connection with articles they published that were critical of the authorities, according to news reports. The 11 members of the council are hand-picked by the president and have the authority to suspend news outlets, according to CPJ research.

Alerts   |   Republic of Congo

Four newspapers suspended in Republic of Congo

New York, June 7, 2013--Authorities in the Republic of Congo should lift the suspensions against four weekly newspapers in connection with their articles critical of government officials, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The suspensions were handed down by an official board whose 11 members are all hand-picked by the president.

Alerts   |   Republic of Congo, Zambia

In Zambia, musician accused in attack on photographer

Koffi Olomide performs in a hotel in Lukasa. (The Post)

Nairobi, December 31, 2012--The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on authorities in Zambia to thoroughly investigate accusations that a well-known rhumba musician attacked a freelance photographer on Friday at a concert in Lusaka, the capital.

December 31, 2012 1:17 PM ET

Tags:

Case   |   Republic of Congo

Journalist attacked, another briefly detained in Congo

Security agents assaulted Sylvie Ndinga, video journalist for the private broadcaster MNTV, and detained Yvon Le Pape, a reporter for the same station, in Brazzaville, the capital, on September 17, 2012, according to local journalists and news reports.

December 3, 2012 12:50 PM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Republic of Congo

Two Brazzaville weeklies suspended; CPJ seeks reversal

New York, December 20, 2011--Authorities in the Republic of Congo should immediately lift the months-long suspensions imposed last week against two private weeklies in reprisal for articles critical of government officials, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. 

December 20, 2011 5:09 PM ET

Tags:

Blog   |   Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Republic of Congo, USA

Obama tells Africa forum 'no reason' for press restriction

Obama's Young African Leaders Forum in Washington touched on press freedom. (America.gov)
One out of 10 delegates participating this week in U.S. President Barack Obama's Young African Leaders Forum was a journalist. The forum, a U.S. initiative meant to spark discussions on the future of Africa in a year when 17 countries on the continent are celebrating 50 years of nationhood, did not overlook freedom of the press, as I witnessed in its final event on Thursday at Washington's museum of news, the Newseum.
August 6, 2010 4:22 PM ET

Tags:

Letters   |   Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Mali, Niger, Republic of Congo, Senegal, Togo

CPJ, African groups call for press freedom commitment

Your Excellencies: As you gather in Paris for festivities that celebrate your nations’ 50 years of independence, we, the undersigned African press freedom advocates petition for your public commitment to a free, vibrant, and self-sustaining press as a cornerstone of the development of francophone Africa in the next five decades.

July 8, 2010 11:20 AM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Republic of Congo

Media harassed in Brazzaville after disputed election

President Sassou-Nguesso (AFP)New York, July 17, 2009--The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed by the harassment of international journalists covering this week's disputed presidential elections in Republic of Congo.

On Wednesday, police smashed the camera of videographer Marlène Rabaud of France 24 while she was filming the dispersal of an opposition demonstration in the capital, Brazzaville, according to local journalists and news reports. France 24 colleague Arnaud Zajtman, who was also on the scene, told CPJ that officers shoved them and confiscated their footage.
July 17, 2009 3:17 PM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Republic of Congo

Four months on, death unsolved in Republic of Congo

New York, July 2, 2009--Nearly four months after the death of Franco-Congolese journalist Bruno Jacquet Ossébi, the Committee to Protect Journalists called today for authorities in the Republic of Congo to publicly disclose a report that was prepared weeks ago on their investigation.
July 2, 2009 10:41 AM ET

Tags:

More documents on Republic of Congo »

Social Media

View all »