Here are the facts:
- A journalist is killed in the line of duty somewhere around the world once every eight days.
- Nearly three out of four are targeted for murder. The rest are killed in the crossfire of combat, or on dangerous assignments such as street protests.
- Local journalists constitute the large majority of victims in all groups.
- The murderers go unpunished in about nine out of 10 cases.
- The overall number of journalists killed, and the number of journalists murdered, have each climbed since the 1990s.