Yemen

2013

Case   |   Netherlands, Yemen

Dutch couple released in Yemen

Judith Spiegel, who reports for multiple Dutch outlets in Yemen, and her husband, Boudewijn Berendsen, were released six months after being taken hostage by an unknown group, the Dutch and Yemeni governments said in a joint statement on December 10, 2013.

December 11, 2013 9:57 AM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Yemen

Abdulelah Shaea freed after three years in Yemeni jail

Abdulelah Hider Shaea smiles after being released from jail. (Reuters/Farouq al-Sharani)

New York, July 24, 2013--The Committee to Protect Journalists welcomes the release on Tuesday of Yemeni freelance journalist Abdulelah Hider Shaea, who had been imprisoned for almost three years on anti-state charges.

Shaea was released yesterday after President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi issued a pardon, which also stipulated that the journalist could not leave Sana'a, the capital, for two years, state news agency Saba and other news sources reported.

Alerts   |   Yemen

Journalist and her husband kidnapped in Yemen

A screenshot taken from YouTube shows the Dutch journalist and her husband pleading for their lives. (YouTube)

New York, July 19, 2013--A Dutch journalist and her husband reported missing in Yemen in June have appeared in a video, pleading for their lives and asking for their captors' demands to be met. Judith Spiegel, a Yemen correspondent for Radio Netherlands Worldwide, and her husband, Boudewijn Berendsen, were abducted by an unknown group in the second week of June, the Dutch station reported on Tuesday.

July 19, 2013 3:00 PM ET

Case   |   Yemen

Yemeni daily convicted, acquitted of defamation in two cases

In two separate sessions on June 6, 2013, the Specialized Press and Publications Court found a Yemeni daily guilty of defamation charges in one case and innocent in another, according to news reports.

Alerts   |   Yemen

At least three journalists abducted in Yemen

New York, May 22, 2013--At least three journalists have been held hostage by armed tribesmen for a week in Yemen, according to news reports.

Alerts   |   Yemen

More attacks, legal threats against Yemeni journalists

New York, May 7, 2013 - Yemeni journalists are facing continued physical and legal jeopardy, with one journalist receiving death threats and two others facing politicized defamation charges.

Alerts   |   Yemen

Journalists attacked, threatened amid Yemen protests

New York, April 29, 2013--The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns an attack on Al-Jazeera journalists and threats against a Sky News Arabia news crew by anti-government protesters in Aden on Saturday--the latest in a wave of violence against the press in the country.

Alerts   |   Yemen

Separate attacks injure 5 Yemeni journalists, relatives

New York, April 26, 2013--The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns a series of serious assaults on the Yemeni press that have left at least five journalists or their family members injured.

Alerts   |   Yemen

In Yemen, journalists face threats from all directions

New York, April 18, 2013--Yemeni authorities must investigate a series of assaults on the press in the past two weeks and ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. A bomb was discovered at a building that houses media outlets and three journalists received death threats, according to news reports and journalists who spoke to CPJ.

Alerts   |   Yemen

Yemeni journalist given jail term for reporting on corruption

New York, April 8, 2013--A Yemeni news editor who reported frequently on alleged misuse of a public reconstruction fund was sentenced to a three-month jail sentence in relation to one of his articles, according to news reports. The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on an appellate court to overturn the conviction.

2013

Pages: 1 2 or all
Next Page »
« 2012 | 2014 »