New York, March 16, 2010—The
Committee to Protect Journalists is disturbed by reports that the Kyrgyz government
has pressured several radio and television stations to stop carrying programming
from the Kyrgyz service of the
At least four private radio stations and one television channel in northern Kyrgyzstan—including two outlets in the capital, Bishkek—halted RFE/RL programming on March 10, said Tyntchtykbek Tchoroyev, director of the Kyrgyz service. The service, also known as Radio Azattyk, provides both radio and television programming.
The stations had been transmitting the programming since
December 2008, when the state broadcaster, the National Television and Radio
Corporation (KTR), stopped
carrying RFE/RL programs. At the time, KTR said it would resume the
broadcasts if
Kyrgyz authorities have recently warned local stations that
they may face additional hurdles in their license renewals if they continue to
carry Radio Azattyk programming, RFE/RL said
in a statement. Some local stations in southern
“We are deeply disturbed by reports that Kyrgyz authorities
have threatened local stations’ licenses should they continue to carry
Radio Azattyk’s Web site has also been inaccessible for a week, Tchoroyev told CPJ.
Tchoroyev told CPJ that Radio Azattyk recently carried a report on money
laundering charges filed in
The stations that halted the RFE/RL programming are Radio
OK, Radio Most, Radio Royal, Radio Almaz-Naryn, and the television channel Ekho
Manasa. All are privately owned. Kyrgyz Prime Minister Daniyar Usenov told
- March 16, 2010 5:52 PM ET
- Short URLhttps://cpj.org/x/384b
Like this article? Support our work
- Donate Now
- Google+
- Share
https://cpj.org/x/384b