New York, March 12,
2010—The Committee to Protect
Journalists condemns Yemeni authorities’ seizure of equipment enabling the pan-Arab
satellite news channels Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera to broadcast live from the
country.
Security forces raided
the Sana’a offices of Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya on
Thursday, according
to news reports and CPJ interviews. The move came after both channels had broadcast
clashes between police and protesters in the southern town of
In a statement,
“We condemn this arbitrary
seizure and ask the authorities to allow Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya to resume
their live broadcasts without delay,” said CPJ Middle East and North Africa
Program Coordinator Mohamed Abdel Dayem. “To suddenly assert that the
confiscations are due to lack of authorization is not credible given than both
channels have been broadcasting from
Al-Arabiya's bureau
chief in Sana’a, Mahmud Munassar, told CPJ that his employees were
briefly detained and questioned. He called the raid an “intimidation” tactic
designed to silence the channel's coverage of
Murad Hashim, Al-Jazeera's bureau chief in Sana’a, told CPJ that a Yemeni official had telephoned him earlier on Thursday, cautioning that measures would be taken if the channel covered a meeting of southern opposition leaders.
Dissatisfied groups in
the south of the country have increasingly accused authorities of marginalizing
the region’s residents. Since April 2009, as clashes between government forces
and protesters have been reported throughout southern
- March 12, 2010 5:00 PM ET
- Short URLhttps://cpj.org/x/383b
Like this article? Support our work
- Donate Now
- Google+
- Share
https://cpj.org/x/383b