Africa Program Research Associate
Reports to: Africa Program Coordinator
Location: New York preferred, but not essential
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a research associate for its Africa program to research, report, and document attacks on the press in the continent. The ideal candidate will have passion for and knowledge of press freedom and human rights issues in Africa.
Strong research, reporting, and writing skills, and the ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with a small team, are a must. Strong oral and written communication skills in English are essential. Fluency in French is an asset, as well has having worked on the continent. The ability to effectively use social media to promote the Africa program's work and advocacy goals is key.
- Conducting daily research, reporting, and writing in English.
- Monitoring breaking news and events affecting press freedom and journalists in Africa and flagging them to the Africa Program Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Conducting interviews in English.
- Documenting press freedom violations in the Africa region.
- Working with the Africa Program Coordinator and other CPJ staff on regional advocacy efforts.
- Maintaining the Africa program's pages on Facebook and Twitter; maintaining and expanding the Africa program's regional network of contacts.
- Working collaboratively with CPJ's Journalist Assistance Program to help distressed journalists.
- In addition, the Africa Research Associate is encouraged to contribute articles on regional press freedom issues to CPJ's blog and to write such pieces for outside publications.
Education: Bachelor's degree
Experience and Skills:
- Understanding of press freedom issues in the context of sub-Saharan Africa.
- Knowledge of the African continent.
- Regional experience is an asset.
- Proven skills in writing accurately and succinctly.
- Research skills.
To apply, please e-mail a resume, cover letter, two short writing samples, and references to [email protected]. Please include "Africa Research Associate" in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: September 28, 2016
Position: Development Assistant
Reports to: Development Director
Location: New York
Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to fill the position of Development Assistant. The position is a full-time, non-exempt position based in New York.
- Maintaining the organization-wide database, processing and tracking contributions, generating acknowledgments.
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge a strong plus
- Coordinating monthly reconciliation and annual audit with finance department
- Assisting in donor and prospect research
- Carrying out routine administrative tasks
- A Bachelor's degree is preferred.
- 2+ years of related work experience
- Superior writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Computer proficiency
- Ability to work in a deadline-oriented environment
Salary Range: $40,000-$42,000
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter and references to [email protected] and include "Development Assistant" in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: September 30, 2016