July 8, 2001, in Buenaventura, Colombia
Urbano hosted a one-hour morning radio program broadcast on local station Mar Estéreo. He was also the administrator of the Néstor Urbano Tenorio Park.
Urbano apparently devoted his final radio broadcast to denouncing a local criminal gang called Tumba Puertas (Knock Down Doors). The gang was a frequent topic of discussion on Urbano's show; the broadcaster often blamed Tumba Puertas for rampant crime in the park and urged police to crack down on drug dealing there.
Urbano had also coordinated efforts to relocate street vendors and remove drug addicts from the park. Before his murder, he received death threats that he attributed to these public statements and actions.
CPJ published an alert about the Urbano murder on July 11.
Job: Broadcast Reporter
Beats Covered: Crime
Local or Foreign: Local
Type of Death: Murder
Suspected Source of Fire: Criminal Group
Taken Captive: No
- Marked for Death, May 2, 2005
- Attacks on the Press 2001: Colombia, March 26, 2002
- 37 periodistas asesinados por su trabajo en el 2001 , January 3, 2002
- 37 journalists killed for their work in 2001, January 3, 2002
- THREE COLOMBIAN JOURNALISTS KILLED IN PAST WEEK , November 12, 2001