Associated Press Television News
March 29, 2001, in Krivenik, Kosovo, Yugoslavia
On March 28, the Macedonian Army launched a mini-offensive against Albanian insurgents in the village of Gracani in northern Macedonia. Just across the border in Kosovo, NATO-led peacekeepers stepped up patrols to intercept Albanian guerrillas crossing into Macedonia.
At the time of his death, Lawton had just arrived in the village of Krivenik to cover the deployment of additional NATO-led peacekeeping forces. Both Macedonian military officials and ethnic Albanian insurgents denied responsibility for Lawton's death and the other civilian casualties.
Beats Covered: War
Local or Foreign: Foreign
Type of Death: Crossfire/Combat-Related
Suspected Source of Fire: Military Officials
- 1,000 deaths: Journalists who gave their lives, August 15, 2013
- Attacks on the Press 2003: Serbia and Montenegro, March 11, 2004
- Attacks on the Press 2001: Macedonia, March 26, 2002
- Attacks on the Press 2001: Yugoslavia, March 26, 2002
- 37 journalists killed for their work in 2001, January 3, 2002
- More »