August 9, 2007, in Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Local press freedom groups Journaliste en Danger, the Congolese Press Union, and Goma's association of photographers said they were investigating possible motives.
Wilungula had distinguished himself from other, mostly commercial, photographers in Goma, with his focus on photojournalism, contributing to several local publications, said César Balume, the president of Goma's association of photographers. He had been the official photographer of former North Kivu governor Eugene Serufuli.
Motive Unconfirmed: CPJ is investigating to determine whether the death was work-related.
- Attacks on the Press in 2008: Democratic Republic of the Congo, February 10, 2009
- Three sentenced in Congolese journalist's murder, May 22, 2008
- Attacks on the Press 2007: Democratic Republic of Congo, February 5, 2008
- In DRC, police disrupt photojournalists’ march honoring slain colleague , August 16, 2007
- In DRC, police disrupt photojournalists’ march honoring slain colleague , August 15, 2007
- More »